Using our soon to be released Market Intelligence tool, our Strategic Services team discovered that over the holiday period, online retailers were sending approximately four tweets to every one email, often staggering an 'offer tweet' in between 3-4 'engagement tweets'. Twitter is a great channel for interacting with current and prospective followers and it can also be utilized to spread the word on special promotions and grow your email list. There are three simple steps to follow to make this happen:
- Setup a (or use an existing) sign up form
- Tweet your message
- Track growth and interest
Step 1 - Setup a Sign Up Form
While you may already have an email sign up form in place to use, you will want to review it for a few key aspects:
- Make it easy to sign up. Preferences can be further collected at a later time, if you add too many fields to the process; your customer may decide it's too cumbersome to complete.
- Have an automated message setup upon submission of the form to welcome your new subscriber or to provide them with any information you wish to promote in your Tweet.
- Use a trackable URL to the sign up form so you can assess response. A service like bit.ly can provide you with both a shortened URL and analytics on the number of clicks.
- Make sure the form is optimized for a mobile device. Many of your followers may be accessing Twitter via their phone so check that the sign up process is as easy to use as if they were on a desktop.